The category of street furniture is self-explanatory. It contains all the furniture you see on the street, like benches, waste bins, traffic signs, etc. They help to increase the convenience, comfort, and safety of the people on the street. Apart from these, the furniture improves the surroundings aesthetically.
Traditional street furniture is quite different from modern ones. With the technology change, the needs of the people have also changed. One can easily witness this through the advances in the type of furniture items placed on the streets. For example, Victorian-style street lamps are now replaced with high-quality electrical lights. Similarly, you would see LED street signs which are quite different from the traditional hand-made or basic metal signs.
Street furniture like benches, street lights, cast iron bollards, etc., are often ignored, but they offer a lot of convenience to the people on the street. Some of the most common types of street furniture are:
- Benches are usually placed in places with high pedestrian use, like parks, pavements, public squares, etc. It is one of the best arrangements for people to take a quick rest while they are on the road. Benches are also useful when you are waiting for someone, meeting people, or socialising with people.
- Cast iron bollards are an essential street furniture piece used for marking things on the street like parks, sidewalks, etc., and buildings like monuments, terraces, and so on. These are used for various purposes, and they go quite well with both modern and traditional surroundings.
- Waste bins help keep the city clean and increase the convenience of the people walking around the area. However, putting the bins in the right spot is crucial; they should not be installed in any random space. To minimize littering, they should be placed in highly visible and accessible areas.
- Signage plays a vital role on the streets. They provide required information regarding the directions of an area, which improves the convenience of the people. They also encourage the learning process and help to maintain the image of the surroundings.
- Street lighting is vital street furniture used during dark hours. It is used for a wide range of things, like wayfinding, meeting security requirements, etc. It is essential to design the lighting and place them correctly in the area so that it helps people to walk around the street at night without any inconvenience.
- Fountains are made to create a focal point on the streets. It helps to create an ambience where people can gather and socialise. Drinking water fountains are very helpful during the summers.
These are some of the most common street furniture items that make your life easy and convenient while you are on the streets.