Aging is inevitable and a normal phenomenon. So, as expected, every individual knows the likelihood of experiencing gray hairs, wrinkles, cardiovascular issues, loss of memory, depressing sexual life, and so on. In this context, the physicians of Tennessee Men’s Clinic state that rather than getting depressed, it is the best practice to accept what is inevitable and equally fight back with healthy practices to stay healthy at any age.
The cardiovascular health
With aging the walls and valves of the cardiovascular system become stiffer making the heart pump blood slowly. Experiencing a slow heartbeat is common at this age while the risk of hypertension and other cardiovascular issues are relatively normal
Tips to promote heart health
- Walking in the morning, involving in low-impact aerobics and general household activities is the key to lowering the risks of heart disease and maintaining weight.
- In the diet plan, choosing vegetables, whole grains, fruits, fiber-rich foods and lean protein sources like fish is the ideal mix. Avoiding foods rich in saturated fat and lessen salt, and sugar intake is a must.
- Smoking increases blood pressure, so quit smoking
- To manage stress, consider meditation and deep breathing.
- Get enough sleep.
Bones and Muscles
With aging bones are likely to contract in terms of size and density which weaken them making them prone to fracture. Typically, muscles lose their strength, flexibility, and endurance, and eventually can affect the stability and balance of an individual.
Tips to promote bone and muscles
- Consume a sufficient amount of calcium. Some of the great sources of calcium include broccoli, kale, dairy products, salmon, etc. As recommended, aged people need to get at least 1000 mg to 1200 mg of calcium daily. If needed calcium supplements can also be considered.
- Also, get a suitable amount of vitamin D. Apart from the Sunlight, some good sources of vitamin D are eggs, salmon, tuna, and vitamin supplements.
- Physical activity is vital to slow down bone loss.
Perhaps the most common problem for the elderly is constipation. Medications, avoiding drinking enough water, and consuming low-fiber diets are the major contributors to it.
- Tips to promote the digestive system
- Intake of healthy diets is a must they should include high-fiber foods, including vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. Limiting fat-rich meats, sweets, and dairy products makes sense, as they often cause constipation. Drinking plenty of fluids from fruit juice to water is essential.
- Physical activity is a great solution to prevent constipation.
Memory and Cognitive Skills
Since the brain goes through changes with aging, it affects memory as well as thinking abilities. Forgetting familiar names and things is very common in people in these ages.
Tips to promote cognitive skills
- To promote cognitive skills, involving in physical activity is an excellent choice. This is because physical activity enhances blood flow in the brain including the whole body. Having exercise regularly associated with improved brain functioning lessens stress, worry, and depression – which are the contributing factors to affect memory, say experts of Tennessee Men’s Clinic.
- Staying physically and mentally active is important as it helps keep the memory skills intact. Reading books, playing word games, making new hobbies, and playing instruments are great to promote memory skills.
With aging, changes in sexual urge and performance are natural. Most elderly men experience getting an erection as hard and taking longer time, while their partner’s vaginal dryness often makes sex uncomfortable.
Tips to promote sexual health
- Partners need to share their needs and concerns. During this phase, having physical intimacy without trying to involve intercourse is the best choice.
- Talk to the doctors who can get some solution like oral medication to combat ED, or cream to avoid vaginal dryness.
None can stop the aging phase and its associated complications. However, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, involving in different activities, and spending time with loved ones is the best resort.